Friday, December 21, 2012

Brian Smith - Confessions of a Reformed Control Freak

Yes, I admit it. Just like the book's title suggests - I was once a control freak. I was an "old school" micro-manager! But the good news is I've seen the errors of my ways and I'm here to confess my sins. In my 40+ year career of managing and leading others I've committed my fair share. Trust me - I've been there and done that, and have the t-shirt to prove it. I consider myself a card-carrying graduate of the "School of Hard Knocks". There is no question that if I knew then what I know now - I would have managed differently. I wrote this book in the hope that you can learn from my mistakes. "The Top Ten Sins Most Managers Make & How to Avoid Them." are woven into the ten chapters of this book.

Each chapter is dedicated to one of those sins. I've spent a lifetime working with and managing others as a general manager for a major corporation and an award winning entrepreneur. I know from my own experiences what works and what doesn't work when it comes to communicating and interacting effectively with people at all levels throughout the organization. After all, think of a job that you could do that didn't involve dealing with others. You'd be hard pressed to find one. Times have certainly changed. What you need to decide now is - will the management style that got you here - be the same style that will sustain you or get you to where you want to go? Are you promotable? Would you work for you? I think there has been a dramatic shift in the way that others want to be managed.

For the first in our lifetime there are four different generations working in the same workplace. Each generation communicates and interacts differently. Each generation manages and wants to be managed in a style that they like. I believe we're not born knowing how to manage or lead people effectively. It's a learned behaviour. We all start out making certain assumptions based on our past experiences and perceptions as to the kind of role we think managers and leaders should play. But we also have come to know from experience that our perceptions may not always be correct, and that sometimes, we have to change our way of thinking if we are to become better at what we do. Today's managers and leaders need to change the way they manage others to stay in step with a changing workforce.

Managers must do three things very well. They must be able to communicate, educate and delegate. "Confessions of a Reformed Control Freak - The Top Ten Sins Most Managers Make & How to Avoid Them." will teach you how. Don't put your career at risk. Learn to manage the 21 st Century way. Copyright © Brian Smith 2012. Not to be copied or reproduced without written permission.

No comments:

Post a Comment