Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Engaging the digital generation with the tradition of storytelling

By Martin King, author of augmented reality book, Jack Hunter: The French Connection

For many of you, one of the greatest pleasures in life is curling up on the sofa with a cup of tea and a favourite book to lose yourself for an hour or so in an imaginary world that takes you somewhere far away.
You may have enjoyed the thrill of selecting a new book of the shelf, or the warm familiarity of a well-thumbed novel. Unfortunately today, for many young, and often reluctant, readers, this make-believe world is beyond their grasp as books sit unread on the shelves. And I should know, I used to be one.

As an author, it comes as a surprise to many that as a child I shunned books, preferring to enact my battles on the football field and find treasures within the sweet shop. The world of books had no draw for me, so how did I turn it around to become a published author? This is the story of how I found a passion for stories and how I went about converting others by turning the conventional book on its head to get other reluctant readers heading for the bookshelves.

As a child I wasn’t generally interested in books, and certainly never even entertained the idea of being a writer. When I was growing up, boys had only three future career choices; fireman, astronaut or footballer. I ended up working in marketing, and never found my true calling until four years ago, when I made the decision to write down the stories in my head, first for a friend and then for the public.

Seeing the stories in my head come to life was a novel thrill for me; I could see the castle walls, smell the salty air of the sea and feel the golden coins of the hidden treasure between my fingers. But I knew that however keenly I felt the adventure, many young readers would still shy away from reading a book. Statistics from Scholastic[1] suggests that half of parents (49 per cent) feel their children don’t spend enough time reading books for fun and prefer instead to play video games or visit social networking sites. It’s clear that the lure of technology is stronger than ever for young people but does it really mean the death of the traditional book?

For children, technology and gaming means being involved in the adventure. Recognising this desire made me want to experiment with technology and combine the two, seemingly incompatible, worlds: books and technology. There have always been children’s books that engage with readers beyond the written word, whether it’s giving options to choose different endings or including puzzles or clues within the book. Applying technology is taking this to a whole new another level, adding another element to get children interested in reading again. It’s easier than ever for authors to incorporate an added layer to children’s books with the sophisticated technology that is continually being developed, such as augmented reality.

Knowing the enjoyment that flicking through a physical book brings, I was determined that my foray into the technological world did not overshadow the most important element: the story.  I experimented with augmented reality, still a relatively new technology, to enhance my stories, finding a mobile app to be the best way to bring stories to life by scanning images within the book to open up a new world within a game.
The idea initially seemed incredible but I teamed up with some app designers and after much testing and tweaking, and many hours of both reading and game playing to ensure one did not overshadow the other, I finally felt I had found a way to encourage reluctant readers like myself to rediscover the power of imagination and the enjoyment of absorbing themselves in a traditional adventure, but with a very modern twist.

No comments:

Post a Comment